Friday, May 6, 2011

I’m Either The Nicest Person On The Planet, Or The Dumbest. My Vote Is For The Second One.

I don’t know what it is about me this week, but I’ve been bombarded with requests for favors. I don’t know what the hell is going on. Do I have the word “helpful” or “sucker” tattooed on my forehead? Am I too nice? Did I borrow a pen from you two years ago and now it’s payback time?

Shit!

First, I offered to pass along a friend’s resume to a department in my office. That was me just being awesome…she didn’t ask me to do it. But she got an interview the next day and got offered the job. I felt great. I did a good deed! Hooray me! Apparently my friend told everyone what I had done for her, because my email has now been flooded with resumes from not one, not two, but five other people. Five! All of them with greetings like “Hi, Natalie told me your work was hiring. Can you please get me an interview? Signed, person you have never met.”

Then it was a vendor that I used to work with at an old job. He asked me to get him a lunch meeting with my boss. He wants to get his foot in the door, which is a hard thing to do unless you know someone. I like the guy. I sympathize with him. I want him to succeed. So I said yes and got my boss to agree to lunch that day. The next day, he texts me and asks if I could maybe possibly kind of tell him what our current vendor is bidding for jobs? You know, so he could be competitive? Because he really really wants to work for us?

Umm. No. I’m not losing my job for you, dude. Except I don’t know how to say no to awkward, inappropriate requests. So instead I told him I would “try to find out”. And then never told him anything. And now he keeps texting asking me and I’m all “sorry, I’m swamped right now” and “I don’t know where to find the bids” and still he keeps texting and now I have to get up the nerve to tell him no. Because yeah, I’m not doing that.

Then it was a guy I work with. He asked me if I could please “call this number and ask for Sherry and then if she is there, ask her when the next tax assessment class is”. To which I was all “Huh?” and he was all “It’s my ex-wife and she’s psycho and I need to find out if she’s actually working where she says she is so I can get my child support.” and I was all “I don’t want to do that.” and he was all “Why not?” and I was all because I don’t want to get involved in your crazy life. But I only said that last part in my head. What came out of my mouth was “Ummm, okay.” So I called, and thank you baby Jesus, no one answered. So I told him and he was all “Try again!” and I was all “No!” and he was all “Why not?” and I was all “Because it’s weird, okay?”. And then he left me alone. For two hours. Since then, he asks every time he walks by my desk, giving me wounded puppy faces when I say no.

Then! This morning another co-worker told me about how she got so wasted last night and didn’t get home until 4am and omg she might still be a little drunk and she doesn’t remember where she parked her car. So now she has no car, no wallet and no cell phone. She followed that up by asking if she could borrow my car to run to the store “real quick”. And I said yes, because we go to lunch every Friday and we’ve sang karaoke together and how do you say no to a kind of sort of friend when she asks to borrow your car? You don't. If you are me, anyway.

So now I’m sitting at my desk, about to call and ask Shelly about tax assessment classes while texting “I still can’t find the vendor bid files, but I’ll keep looking!” and thinking about where my car might be right now and how I can’t even call to make sure everything is okay because she doesn’t have a cell phone on account of it being in her lost car somewhere in downtown Dallas.

Fuck, I’m an idiot.



Don’t forget, I’m posting today over at Sprocket Ink, the most super cool and totally awesome snarky news website ever! This afternoon I’m writing about how Mariah Carey loves her living room so much that she named one of her babies after it. If I’m lyin’ then I’m dyin’.

15 comments:

Leslie said...

That is a lot of fuckin drama.

DevilsHeaven said...

My sister always attracts the weirdos at work too. Even though she is mean, they still keep coming to her with crazy assed requests. So, it is not you, it is them.

Unknown said...

This post makes me appreciate the fact that I'm retired and don't have to deal with crap like that anymore.

Little Ms Blogger said...

Tell the vendor revealing the info will jeopardize your job and didn't you just help him get a meeting with your boss? If he keeps pushing, just say "No, I can't and please don't ask again". He's in sales and will continue to push so don't worry about pushing back.

Your co-worker just crossed the line of crazy expecting you to do that after saying no. Next time he pouts at you, you should pout back.

VEG said...

Oh god, yes, the drama. This sort of shit happens to me too. I can't say no in case I offend someone but holy shit I am annoyed at being dragged into other people's crap like this. We need one blanket statement that politely declines to get involved without seeming like an asshole. I wish "No sorry, I'm on my period" would suffice. :)

VM Sehy Photography said...

You should tell people no. Just short and sweet. Follow up with a reason. I know it's hard.

Still, it'll save you the trouble of being worried about where your car is and whether you'll get fired or not. Also, you're assuming that the one guy's story is true and he's not just some creepy stalker.

The sooner you say no firmly and back it up, the quicker these people will move on and stop bothering you with these requests.

Nicole Leigh Shaw said...

I can never say no to any awkward requests. So much so that I head the whole business by offering up shit I don't want to do from the get-go.

Good luck with all of that. Hope you get your car back.

nova said...

Oh dude, lame! I have been practicing my "say no to drama" face recently too...it's really hard to do, but it's better than being stuck in the limbo of awkward lies about how you tried to but then you forgot or whatever.

Anonymous said...

Hey, I was wondering if you'd be able to call my boss and tell her that I won't be in tomorrow because I'm going to be reading blogs all day. I mean, you seem to be good at stuff like that.

Thanks! You rock!

Logical Libby said...

Since your being nice, can I have those green shoes?

And you do NOT want to know how many people ask me to help them "get into" TV.

Megs said...

That...that is a lot of inappropriate favor requests.

Joanna Jenkins said...

Oh man, you are on a roll with the crazies! Those people are way over the line in the "favor" department. Time to kick them to the curb honey. I know, easy for me to say, right.
xo jj

themajessty said...

Well, drama makes life interesting.

*okay, I'll stop the delusion now.*

Tots said...

OK. Email me direct and I will come over and punch every one of these people in the ding ding.

SERIOUSLY PEOPLE!

Leave Ms. Yvonne alone! She has many more important things to do besides insider trading, Crazy Ex Wife stalking and Drunk Car Loaning Outing...

Ms. Yvonne, call me. Consider those ding dings punched!

Jen said...

Wow, that's hilarious! Give people an inch, they take a mile. It's true almost ever time.